Tuesday, October 31, 2006


When my kids were 7, 5, & 3 we could all trick-or-treat together. Now that they are 13, 11, & 9, the age difference seems more skewed. My oldest daughter went with some friends as a band of back-up singers. She came in telling me the delightful fright created by some older teenage boys. It reminded me of when I jumped over a fence, one Halloween in the late seventies, to avoid menacing teenage boys. I was wearing a full length Little Bo Peep dress when I struggled over a chain link fence only to find out that my short cut was through a back yard with a protective Doberman Pincer. Yikes!



My son joined 5 other 6th grade boys and their brothers in another neighborhood. They were on a mission to collect a ton and came pretty close. That pillowcase was pretty heavy!



I totally enjoyed chaperoning my 9 year old, Susan, and Peggy's daughter, Dawn. They were both dressed as witches with black Heelies to make it look like they were flying. They started off fast, sailing up to the houses with their Heelies on. They told terrific riddles when asked for a trick, and often planned a surprise by hiding and jumping out when the neighbor opened the door. After a few blocks, they slowed down.


As we reached home, I explained about the chaperone fee. The chaperone gets first pick of the loot. Susan explained that she had not been aware of that fee. I snagged some Whoppers. I get most of the candy with nuts eventually anyway. We're saving Baby Ruths for Grandma. What do you snitch from the baskets?

We have so many cool neighbors who made the night an adventure. Lot of adults in on the fun. We had pumpkin ale with dinner, which added to the festivity.

I love carving pumpkins, but two of them got carved too soon. Look at the slimy moldy pumpkins Fern and Susan carved on Saturday. It has been a bit warm, so they rotted quickly. I had to throw them out in the morning before the trick-or treating. I like my white scarface pumpkin this year.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Cool! I love Baby Ruths

Unknown said...

Yes, a fee, that's it! And all chocolate and the better quality stuff, too, not to be picky or anything...nuts or no nuts, I don't care.
We had fun as well, my son and I while we were at the friend's house. The boys, 5th thru 7th scare unsuspecting trick-or-treaters when they approach the pond and grove of trees near the front door complete with frightful music, dry ice fog and menacing decorations..
It's the most wonderful time of the year...
By the way, icky pictures of me are posted at my sight along with the kiddies....
Thanks for sharing.

Laura said...

I love to raid the candy dish too, but only a couple of times. I like Reese Cups the best!!! Mmmmm. I only had the youngest interested in trick-or-treating this year. The older ones stayed home and passed out the candy. They had fun, but I had to study for a test. No fun for Mom this Halloween!! :-(