Monday, October 09, 2006

I'm not a doctor, but I've seen them on TV. So I thought I'd ask your opinion on a new medical issue facing my daughters.

Have you heard of the new vaccine for cervical cancer? It's actually a vaccine against HPV (I think) which it is estimated that 80% of everyone has. HPV is usually asymptomatic, but does trigger cervical cancer in some women. Although men transmit the virus, they are not affected by it. So apparently, if you've ever had sex with more than one person in your whole life, or if the only person you ever had sex with has had sex with someone else - ever, then you are in the higher risk group to have this HPV.

They've just recently developed better testing to determine if you have the virus. If you get regular paps, then you should be fine. If you haven't, you should go. You can ask for a special test for the HPV. Most insurances cover it, especially if your doc thinks you might need it, which most people do.

Anyway, now a vaccine is available to prevent HPV. The thing is, it's too late for us. “They” are recommending it for girls who are not yet sexually active. But some people think we should teach our kids to only have sex ever with one person. I say, prepare for the worse and hope for the best.

So I asked my pediatrician today about it. She recommended against it. She said that in America, only about 500 women die of cervical cancer a year. Mostly the women who die from it do not have their regular check ups. When found in its earliest stages, the treatment success is very high. So she asks if it is necessary to vaccinate an entire population for those circumstances?

hhhmmm

Plus, insurance isn't paying yet and it is expensive. She said it was a three shot series and she could order it for me if I was willing to pay in advance - $140 per shot.

So what do you think?
Would you vaccinate your daughter with the “first model year” of a vaccine series under these circumstances? Have any of you talked to your docs? I know a couple of you folks are nurses. I'd love to hear your opinions.

I'm leaning against it after talking to the doc. I think I have established good health habits with my kids as far as regular preventive care goes. Is it safe to assume she'll continue when she's an adult just because I do? I would certainly pay $420 to prevent my kid from getting cancer, but the vaccine is still new too.

hhhmmm

5 comments:

julie said...

I think that your pediatrician's advice is solid. It probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead with the vaccine but it may not be necessary. Cervical cancer is usually not the killer that other female cancers are...although I have lost one friend to it. I think that the ones who could benefit the most from this vaccine are the ones who will not be able to afford it.
Just my two cents. Or maybe just one cent.

Mom said...

I would wait. This vaccine is too new and untested in it's long term effects. Your girls have time to wait and see.The docter is probably right to reccommend against.

Unknown said...

I think you hit the nail on the head with the idea that most women who follow a yearly check-up regimen can have early detection which is the key to keeping cervical cancer from getting out of hand. Teaching that to our girls and setting that good example ourselves is a better plan for now, I believe.
I've had some experience this summer with all of it. My doc was quite excited about the vaccine, too.

Laura said...

I also think that you should wait. There are many forms of the HPV virus, but only a small number of them actually will cause cancer. And, if you teach your daughters to get regular yearly examinations, their risk factor for cancer from HPV will be very minimal. This is the cancer that took my sisters life, and her doctors told us that she had not had an exam in nearly four years. (We all thought that she had been keeping up) But, he also said that if she had gotten them regularly, she would have been cured.
I think the vaccine is still too new. I agree with Julie, the girls who would benefit from the vaccine are probably the ones who will not be able to afford it, or may not be getting the education about yearly check ups and the risks of multi-partners.

AM Kingsfield said...

Thanks, my cohort of moms. Laura, I didn't remember that your sister had died of cervical cancer. That is a sad reminder for us all.