Thursday, October 05, 2006

Every stage of childhood has its pros and cons.

Last night, after Happy Hour with Peggy, we decided to take the “Happy” home to our kids in the form of fresh bagels & cream cheese for breakfast tomorrow from Panera. While waiting in line, a mother behind me was considering her options with an adorable two year old. The little girl was imitating the cool sound the industrial bagel slicer was making. The mom saw me turn around to see the source of the sound and apologized for disturbing me. She and I struck up a conversation about parenthood while her little girl just sang a happy song while she was waiting. I bought her cookie since my order was taking some time. It was nice to spread “Happy Hour” around a bit.

I thought about how I miss the adorableness of my two-year-old children. I don't want another, mind you. No way. Mine are bigger now and less cuddly, much less likely to just sing a song in public while they are waiting in line. Those are a couple of the cons of bigger kids.

I'm loving the pros though. Certainly the conversation is better. We enjoy the same music: no more Barney & Raffi – although I didn't mind Raffi too much. My oldest and I raid each other's closets sometimes. I can leave them home alone for short events. I do very little for their personal hygiene anymore.

My son, 11, has been doing current events articles for school. Today he said, “There's too much war in the world. I think they should make a woman president.” How can I not love it that he thinks what the world really needs is a mom?

My 9 year old daughter, annoyed that no one was available to help her set up her new airbrush tattoo kit that she got for her birthday, got out the screwdriver and set it up herself. She was proud of herself. I was proud of her too.

My oldest has been wrestling with forgiving her favorite TV character's big transgression: Lorelai broke up with Luke and slept with Chris. She and I (that's my daughter and I, not Lorelai & I) have had some interesting discussions on forgiveness. What is really unforgivable? What do you do after a huge mistake?

I love watching these kids wrestle with new ideas and speculate.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is exactly how I feel! I am adoring my children at their current (and hopefully future)ages. They are such a source of joy and amusement. And I find I do miss they're cuddly little bodies but only for a moment.
Thanks for sharing. Happy Friday!!!