Sunday, October 15, 2006




Autumn in the Alleghenies is spectacular – especially when toured on a private mountain. I saw West Virginia from a different perspective: riding on the back of an ATV. I had never been on one before and was glad I was with an experienced driver on some of those steep rocky parts.

That's my favorite mountain man on the top of his mountain. He was freaking me out because it was so windy he could barely stand out there and it was a genuine death drop to the valley below. After I took the picture, I crawled out on my belly to enjoy the scenery at less risk.

I couldn't help wondering about the geological forces that created those mountains. There is so much limestone up there. I suppose that means it was once ocean floor. Plus, parts of those mountains are hollowed out with canyons: Seneca Caverns, Smoke Hole Caverns, Luray, and Skyline.

I did shoot a couple of guns, but only rifles: a 22 and a 22 magnum. One of the smaller 22s had a bad scope, so I shot it with open sights and did better. I was shooting at paper targets tacked to a dead log. I hit the bullseye a few times too. I only shot the magnum once, but hit the bullseye first time. I have no desire to shoot an animal though. I suppose I could if I had too. I like to buy my meat in neat cellophane packaging that doesn't look remotely like the animal it used to be.

I saw a flock of wild turkeys and thought of my friend Peggy. Did you know Benjamin Franklin wanted to make the turkey our national bird, but lost the argument to the eagle. Some days I think the turkey should be our mascot. And just think of our national drink! (Do you call it a flock of turkeys or a herd? A covey? A murder? Bevy? Gaggle?)

I just drank some delicious apple cider from my requisite Apple House stop. I think I'll try one of Greeny's Apple Smasheds before I tuck myself in. I'll eat healthy tomorrow.

2 comments:

Mom said...

You are your father's daughter! Amid great beauty, you wonder about the geological forces just like the daughter of a scientist. The birder in our house says it is a flock or a rafter of turkeys. Both terms are correct. Baby turkys are a brood.

Unknown said...

I envy your trip, guns and all. Let me know what your proportions are for the apple smashed, k?