Thursday, October 12, 2006




What fun we had in New York! I don't know where to start. The Phantom of the Opera? The guitar-playing cowboy wearing only his boots and his tightie-whities in the middle of Times Square? (Where was my camera?!) The bizzare shoes in Luis Vuitton? The expensive trip to the women's lounge in Tiffany's. The bicycle cab in the rain? The fabric stores in the fashion district? The delectable food at every turn?

I'm afraid no one in town mistook us for native New Yorkers. Although it took some initial urging, I convinced my daughter that she had better stand through the sun-roof of my soccer-mom van for the photo opportunities. My 13 year old and I were delighted with the tile work in the subway as well as the picture perfect standing room at rush hour. We had fun with the revolving doors. At Mood Fabrics, the elevator had an operator to open and close the double-layered door and pull the gear to ascend and descend - cool! The fashion parade on Madison Avenue -with poodles. The workers were putting up white lights in the trees and the vendors were selling roasted chestnuts.

On the way back from Phantom of the Opera, I was overwhelmed with the urge to sing songs whose words were only vaguely familiar to me in my Broadway opera voice, which only works with arms outstretched. No amount of talking could convince my daughter that this was acceptable behavior in NYC.

I purchased a silver ring at Tiffany & Co. I didn't mean to, honest. It is a heart that looks like somone sat on it before the silver hardened. Although not obviously a heart at first, you can still see it. It's just uniquely squished. I'm wearing it on the ring finger of my left hand. Anne protested at first saying I should wait 'til I marry again. I disagreed. I don't want to wait that long. This ring is perfect for that finger.

2 comments:

Lolita's Momma said...

I'd say the left hand is very appropriate for the butt smashed heart!

Laura said...

It sounds as if you had a wonderful time!! Good for you. I have often wondered what NYC would be like, but I think it would probably intimidate me. Especially the driving.
I agree--the left hand for a butt smashed heart is perfect!