Thursday, October 26, 2006


Throw your hands up if you know that you're a star
You better stand up if you know just who you are
Never give up never stay down
Girl Power Girl Power!!
.....
Cause we are sisters
We stand together
We make up one big family though we don't look the same
Our spots are different, Different colors
We make each other stronger
That ain't ever gonna change
Believe it mister
We're cheetah girls cheetah sisters

Well, last night's Cheetah concert was much more bearable than I imagined. I was surprised at how many songs I already knew – due to the Disney channel being on so much in my house. All the songs had positive girl power lyrics. No sex or drugs or rock-n-roll.

It wasn't the music that was cringe-inducing so much as the shrill excited shrieks of thousands of 8 year old girls. My & Peggy's daughters were not even aware of the shameless Disney channel plugs throughout the concert. The Cheetah Girls are what happens to rock stars who were brought up on Barney. The songs were all about girl power and who needs a man, except it seems the producers decided they better have all male dancers for the heterosexual norming.

It was a delight to see my 9 year old and Peggy's daughter have so much fun. They knew most of the lyrics and sang them passionately. What a thrill! I stood up and cheered and sang and danced right along with my daughter. I even kept shouting a request for “Cinderella” whenever the din diminished.

When Peggy gets her pics to me I'll post the picture of the Cheetah Mama t-shirt I got.

Do you remember what bands you liked at age 8 or 9?
I guess it was Shaun & David Cassidy for me. There was the Bay City Rollers. Oh, and Bobby Sherman – do you remember “Arizona?”

“A-ri-zo-oh-na, take off your hobo shoes...”

1 comment:

Lolita's Momma said...

The Beatles and The Supremes are my 8 and 9 year old memories. I had Beatles rings that you could get out of the bubble gum machines. Remember the rings that would flash different pictures when you moved them?