Monday, October 30, 2006

Another fall bike ride today, this one with more challenges. I went the other direction, into town to connect my laptop to free wireless at a bakery (router problems at home – I need tech support!) I didn't recall how many hills were between home and bakery. Plus, busy intersections, debris on the trail, and heavy backpack. I decided this was a ride that required a helmet. Anyway, the strenuous ride made the bakery an option: they kinda canceled each other out. I did see another deer. This time I only saw its white tail bounding away over the underbrush.

Another bike ride metaphor: sometimes it takes more risk and effort to go in a different direction.

Do you guys always wear your bike helmet? It just seems to take the edge off the joy of the ride. For me it depends on where I anticipate riding – and with whom I am riding. How much freedom do you trade for safety?

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I always wear a helmet when I ride... probably because I always ride with the kids and I've got to set the example. I'm not sure if I'd wear one otherwise though. Probably not.

Anne said...

If I rent bikes at the beach, then I don't wear a helmet, otherwise, I'm with Tracy, you need to set a good example for the kids so I wear it always. Accidents can happen anywhere.