Monday, October 02, 2006

I'm going to learn how to shoot a gun. Do any of you know how? Here's my thinking.

If you use your imagination, I bet you can think of a situation where you would kill someone. In some life circumstances, killing is much more commonplace than my well-fed suburban life. So far, I have never truly contemplated murder. I hope those terrible circumstances never do align. But answer me this.

If you had decided that killing someone was the best course of action, whether you decided in a split second or planned it out, wouldn't you want to be sure you did a complete job? If you failed, I expect that the surviving person would be rather pissed off, maybe even vengeful. They would know you were trying to kill them for sure.

If I ever got to the point where I decided to kill someone, I'm sure the circumstances would be rather alarming and certainly dire. The Bible does say there is a time to kill, so if any of you reading this are thinking, “I never,” - think again. I hope that time never comes for me or you. But if one day I'm faced with do or die, I want to be able to do. I would hate to fail. I might also hate to succeed.

Even though I have been exercising and am fairly fit for a 41 year old woman, I don't know that I could count on brute strength. Poison is not necessarily reliable or expedient. I'm certainly not up for the knife action. I think shooting would be the best option. The problem is that I don't know how.

I don't ever want to own a gun. I don't want one in my home. I'm not a fan of the NRA. Reality is, however, not always what I want or in my control. Guns are everywhere. So is evil. If I'm firing at evil, I want to hit my mark.

So I'm going to take a few lessons from a couple of friends who offered. You can mess with me, but not my kids.

Now you guys probably all think I've lost it, slipped over the edge. With my luck, someone I don't like is going to turn up dead and this blog is going to land me in court. I hope not. I was a girl scout though. I want to be prepared. It's like learning CPR – actually maybe it's the opposite of learning CPR. I hope I never need either skill.

No comments: