Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The total combined ages of the women in my pool is currently about 96. That would be a fascinating conversation with one 96 year old woman. It would be a relaxing day poolside for me if it were two 48 year old women – or three 32 year old women. Four 24 year old women would probably be fun, except we probably wouldn’t enjoy the same music and I would most likely be deficient in the tattoo and piercing department.

Today, however, I have eight 12 year old girls in my pool. They are great girls and I’m proud of my daughter’s taste in friends. For some reason these girls communicate in shrieks and shouts that make me reluctant to sit poolside with my book. I have mostly been watching from the kitchen window. It did get considerably quieter once the pizza arrived, but that was temporary. We are ignoring the no swimming after eating rule.

I wouldn't have 16 six year olds in my backyard at the same time. Absolutely never 24 four year olds - or 48 two year olds. Eight 12 year olds is my lowest ratio. Solo that is. I'd need more support supervision backup.

I love the racial diversity of our community. My children have made friends with children of various races. Sometimes I can’t easily communicate with their parents because of language barriers. I wish I had taken Spanish in high school instead of French. I’ve never encountered someone who only spoke French. If I did encounter a Frenchman, I could recite my 7th grade dialogue about the eminent arrival of the Duponts for dinner.

Of my children’s three end-of-school year pool parties, only my youngest invited both girls and boys. I did require them to limit the number of attendees, so I know that was a factor. The middle years of childhood are where the sexes separate. They haven’t merged again yet. That must be part of the natural process of things.

I took pictures and videos. It will be fun to look back on them when these girls are seniors. I can’t help wondering how their lives will turn out. My childhood friend swore she’d never marry or have children. She’s been married 18 years and has seven beautiful children. I was the likely candidate for the Betty Crocker route, and I turned out opposite to predictions too. Maybe one of these girls will be the first woman president, more likely the second. They will one day be our caretakers. I hope they still have all this energy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You crack me up....