Friday, June 09, 2006

This weekend my children have helped bump me into different social circles. We had discussed having an end of the school year party, but the guest list quickly spiraled out of control. Rather than limit the party because of the size, we decided to have three. Each child got to pick friends from school to celebrate with this weekend, but at three separate party times. Here at almost midnight on Friday I have two down and one to go.

This was the first time my children had more knowledge of the families on the guest list than I did. My oldest's party is beginning later this weekend.
My oldest has friends whose families I have known longer than the others. Our families are comfortable together and have known each other for years now.

My middle child's guest list was of names I had heard and faces I had seen in assemblies or back to school nights. I was delighted to find some kindred spirits in their mothers. Maybe that is why our sons enjoy each other's company. I also appreciated having two other mothers who could hang out with me so I wasn't the only adult at the party. We have discussed hanging out together again.

My youngest had the freshest guest list. I really only knew one family and had made the previous acquaintance of another. But there were five other families. Only one man came, although all invitations invited the whole family. So again, it was a chance for us mothers to bond. We just kind of naturally relieved each other of watching the children and all enjoyed a pleasant time to get to know one another. It was cool.

New relationships are always fun.

No comments: