Monday, June 19, 2006

I don't suppose I'm a typical church lady. Last night began my congregation's Vacation Bible School. I have a tendency to overcommit my schedule, which this VBS thing has done for me. I agreed to help with the opening singing in the auditorium. It's just kids, so I didn't stress out like I did for my sermon. I don't even think I went to one planning meeting. I just showed up where I was told to by the real church ladies.

The theme was "Fiesta!" I didn't know if we were to dress in a certain way, so I chose a red t-shirt that had some stitching that was slightly South American looking. But when I got to church, I was handed a cheap white t-shirt with the VBS theme logo ironed on it. I don't usually go in for the "let's dress in matching clothes" thing, but I was willing to be a good sport. Unfortunately, I didn't get the memo about which underwear to wear to VBS.

I had on a dark fushcia bra that showed way through the white t-shirt. Would Jesus mind? I suppose it was a good thing I was wearing a bra. Do people assume that church ladies where white underwear? Did they think I had on granny panties too?

My sister bailed me out as only a sister can do. We went into the restroom and traded bras for the evening. It was like a modern day variation on the Good Samaritan parable. She is a better church lady than I am - but she's still cool too.

So am I atypical, or are church ladies changing since we were kids? I don't know if I fit a clear category. Are you a church lady? Can church ladies wear fushcia bras?

3 comments:

Anne said...

I'm gonna have to leave my red straps showing when I'm doing my "church lady" duties from now on.

AM Kingsfield said...

The panties were matching bikinis. I'm glad they did't have white shorts for us!

AM Kingsfield said...

There you are, CG. We've missed you! I thought I could lure you out by talking about my underwear. I will take note of your advice. I see we have the same experiences with church ladies.