Saturday, June 24, 2006

Doing laundry with children is always an adventure. By "adventure" I don't mean to imply that it is necessarily fun or adventurous. Certainly it is endless. There is, however, always that element of the unexpected. Tonight's lesson was that while chocolate can survive in a cold load, it doesn't do so well in the dryer. Figures it is clothes I wanted for the morning. So I'm still up doing laundry on Saturday night at 11. Not as fun as some Saturday nights.

I thought about creating a sort of mural based on the things I pull out of the washer and dryer that aren't clothes. The occasional coin would help date the growing collection. It would have plenty of color from the Legos and Barbie shoes. My jeans are often authentically stone washed, as my kids like to pick up smooth or unusual rocks. When I saw feathers in there I crossed my fingers that it wasn't the whole bird. You never know in my house. We've had plenty of lip glosses go through, but some of those I confess were mine. We also launder plenty of money. I consider that a way-too-small tip. I suppose having children who are careless about emptying their pockets might be a good source of information as they become teenagers, but here we go back to that "ignorance is bliss" conversation.

What does your laundry debris say about you? Did you ever get caught by something you sent through the laundry?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This made me laugh..I am constantly searching for remedies to reclaim clothing stained by known or unknown sources and adding found articles to the cache on top of the dryer(currently there is a safty pin, barrette, polished rock(how long had it been in there?)sheet metal screw,button, 18 cents, a cotton picker spindle(caught that BEFORE it entered either machine) and a drawstring). There have been many lip gloss/lipstick debacles as well as pen stains. I realize my washer/ dryer extraneous items have changed over the years as the kids get older.
Let's make it clear though....I ALWAYS get the cash..

Laura said...

When I was first divorced, I moved to an extremely small house with my three children. The washer and dryer were located in the kitchen. I will never forget the time I was in a hurry, and trying to "fluff" a shirt that I wanted to wear to take my children to the movies, only to turn on the dryer and hear some pretty loud thumping going on. I had asked my children to clean up their dinner mess while I got ready to go. They did that by stuffing everything from the table into the dryer so that it would look as if they had cleaned up, and washed dishes. I am just thankful that I didn't cook anything with a sticky sauce that night!