Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Here comes summer! Today was my last day with all my kids in for a full day of school. I felt a bit of a panic about not having time for myself starting tomorrow. Part of me wanted to race around and part of me wanted to lie down on the couch for the last bit of quiet.

I still didn't even get the full day. I had to take my youngest in to see the doc for an ear problem. Fortunately for me, we have the coolest doctor's office in town. We hang out and visit like old friends. I guess we've know each other for years now. It's nice not to go to one of those big impersonal medical groups. I like that we all know each other.

Today I began distributing my new "Tell Me Your Story" business cards. My new job title is "personal essayist." What do you think? I don't need to sweat thinking of a plot because everyone has a great story to tell - they just need me to write it down for them. Tomorrow I will post some ads on community bulletin boards. I think I'll hold off on heavier advertising until later in the summer. I already have my first job lined up just by word of mouth. You know I will eventually see if I can combine some finished essays into a book. But one step at a time right now.

So what does everyone have planned for the summer? I know two of you are coming to my house for a week or two. I'm looking forward to time for extended visits with old friends - late nights after the kids are in bed, drinking wine on the front porch.

My oldest & I are joining forces with a Habitat for Humanity team in West Virginia. I'm afraid she's expecting Ty Pennington and and Extreme budget, but it should still be fun. At least it will be good bonding time for us. I'm looking forward to a revival of Construction Girl.

1 comment:

AM Kingsfield said...

The doctors are great, but it is the staff that makes that place so cool ;-)