Sunday, June 25, 2006

CG could be Cereal Grazer at my house. I have 12 different boxes of cereal in my pantry. That’s three varieties for each member of my house. Here they are in order of descending healthiness:

Optimum Power: my personal favorite – high fiber, reasonable sugar, and actual flavor

Organic Pumpkin Flaxplus Granola – good mixed in yogurt

Kashi GoLean – actually says twigs & puffs on the label. Tastes like cardboard. I should throw this one out, but I can stand it if I mix it with another one.

Raisin Bran – not very popular. A good back up if I run our of #1 or 2.

Cheerios – everyone eats these from time to time.

Frosted Bite-Sized Mini Wheats – a current favorite with my kids and not bad too.

Strawberry Delight Frosted Bite-Sized Mini Wheats – sounded like a good idea, but no one likes these. I keep hoping to pawn them off on a guest child.

Rice Chex – low sugar, but not much anything else to say for them. Rice Krispies in different shape.

Lucky Charms – There’s not many marshmallows left in the box, so the remaining portion isn’t that bad for you, no more yellow moons or pink hearts.

Golden Grahams – I could eat the whole box of these.

Fruit Loops – great for craft projects. These have been in there a while.

Pops – I believe these were called Sugar Pops when I was a kid. They remind me of Calvin & Hobbes’ Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs.


I’m wondering if 12 boxes show a bit of indecision on my family’s part or if we just like variety. Cereal is often a bedtime snack which I figure has to be better than several other snack options. Our individual preferences descend in healthiness with age, although sometimes we opt for a different extreme. How many boxes in your household? What’s your favorite? Is there anyone who doesn’t eat cereal? Have you heard that there are whole cereal restaurants now?

2 comments:

Lolita's Momma said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lolita's Momma said...

Sounds exactly like my cupboard!
I had a friend from NC tell me that I "was not cereal poor".