Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Knowledge can be distracting. The things that distract you depend on your knowledge. For example, my friend who is a nurse gets distracted in groups by people's health issues. She will notice if someone seems ill and she starts determining if her action might be necessary. Should she speak to them? Might she have to do CPR? It can be a distraction.

My friend in law enforcement can't help but notice the potential criminals in a crowd. He notices suspicious behavior and makes note of exits and hidden spots in rooms. He notes positions that would provide cover in a shoot out. In some situations he carries a weapon - situations where I am oblivious to potential dangers.

I don't know that much to be distracted by, but sometimes my imagination will distract me. I will notice unique people and start formulating possible scenarios that they might be dealing with. How did that man injure his foot? Why does that woman look sad? What was he doing before he came here? Where is she going after this?

At my son's baseball playoff game tonight (which he won 12 to 11 - he had 2 runs) I was distracted by my knowedge of the hazard that can be created by boys with baseball bats and their general lack of awareness of their surroundings. I am the alarmed, alert mother always telling the next batter up to scoot over so they don't smash their teammate in the face. That happened to my nephew. I don't want to witness that. I may get on their nerves, but I can't ignore their risks.

Is ignorance bliss? I think I'd rather be aware, although it can be a problem sometimes. What knowledge distracts you? Are you glad you know anyway?

1 comment:

AM Kingsfield said...

Well, I think I'd rather be completely screwed than blissfully ignorant. Sometimes that sucks though.

Was I man-bashing? I try not to do that. You guys just keep giving me so much material.

I like the Lorena Bobbit Barbie. I bet it would sell like hotcakes. oops! there I go again.