Saturday, June 10, 2006



"Pain is temporary. Pride is forever."
That's my son's lacrosse team's slogan. The only actual injury I sustained was when I was playing catch with my son before the game and caught one ball with my right eyebrow. ooww. If there's a bruise tomorrow, it won't be as bad as the one I got in the biker bar brawl.

Before the game I went over to my son to talk a little trash to get the competetive juices flowing. Everyone who knows me knows how cutthroat I can be. I leaned in by Kyle's ear and said, "I just wanted you to know I'm taking you down!" He laughed.

Only three moms got on the field today. When I was on, the dads told me to hang out down by the crease and they'd give me to ball so I could score. I had to ask exactly where the crease was. No one mentioned that I wasn't supposed to cross a certain line. Suddenly everyone was shouting "Mom in the crease! Mom in the crease!" At first I thought that was a good thing, but apparently it wasn't.

They really tried to keep their word, but I just couldn't keep that ball in the net. It would have been easier if I didn't have a dozen boys trying to knock it away from me. But there was only one goal in all four 10 minute quarters, so I wasn't the only novice parent. Those little guys are good too - and quick!

My son told me he was hoping "Pass to my mom. Pass to my mom." I was thinking, "Don't pass it to me. Don't pass it to me." I did scoop it up several times and pass it to some of my teammates, but I could never catch it in the mayhem of the game. As we left the field my son told me, "You're an inspriation to moms everywhere." It doesn't get much better than that.

It was a beautiful day though. My knee brace did its job and I walked off the field with no limp. I may feel it in my muscles tomorrow. That's OK because pain is temorary. Pride is forever.

2 comments:

julie said...

I am so proud of you. I know how you have never been a sports person but I bet you could've been if you had wanted to. Lacrosse is hard.

AM Kingsfield said...

The eyebrow is tender and maybe a bit puffy, but no sign of a bruise. I've heard you shouldn't hit people in the ankle with sticks, so I guess I'm lucky.