Friday, March 31, 2006

Have you ever had the opportunity to tear down drywall? A great activity for taking out any pent up frustrations. Even though the methods aren't that sophisticated, I still needed instruction, being a drywall demolition virgin.

You have to swing the hammer pretty hard to crash through the drywall, particularly if there is a stud there. I keep having a tendency to grasp the hammer too high, limiting my range of motion and force of the blow. I'm not sure if the hammer is too thick or my hand is too small. Either way, it took me a few swings and a couple of pointers from the guys to really get some results.

The hardest part of the demolition was not the tearing down of the wall itself or even the clawing out of the nails that held it in place. The real grunt work came when we had to load up the trashcans with the rubble and haul them up the steeply sloped backyard to the trailer. My right arm was a bit more sore than the left arm the next day though. I'm going to have to learn to swing with both hands if I keep this up. But I guess we're all a little lopsided so maybe it doesn't matter.

(You guys catching all the metaphors here, or do I have to point them out? I believe this post has something for everyone.)

No comments: