Monday, March 27, 2006

I got an itchy sawdust shower today. I was down in that ugly closet mostly going for more tools so my co-worker could cut a hole in the ceiling for an air vent that would come out in the kitchen above. Once up on the ladder in that tight space, it is annoying to get up and down for other tools. But since you can't see what you're doing until you are up on the ladder, you don't know what tools you need until you are wedged in there.

Although the gopher duty is not necessarily exciting, today it took a bit of an exciting turn when the tool I needed, the jigsaw, was up with the other guys on the roof. They were putting in a solar tube. I think Harry was surprised to see me walk up there and ask if he was done with the jigsaw, which he was. It's interesting that not only is one level's ceiling another level's floor, but even the roof can become a floor in a sense. It was a nice warm day to be out there on the top of things.

The floor/ceiling hole that we cut was started by Don with the Fein Tool and then the jig saw. But there were two layers of thick plywood and a layer of vinyl on the top. He cut away the first layer and let me do the next part. Even with goggles on, the sawdust got in my eyes, mouth, ears, and all over my clothes. It wasn't a ton, but that stuff is hard to shake all out of you. And because of the tight quarters, you couldn't really move out from under it.

The Fein Tool wasn't performing great, partly because the blade was dull. So I found a new one with a very helpful warning sticker on it suggesting we not cut off our fingers with it. Good advice. But even with the new blade I had a recurring problem. The screw that held the blade in place kept loosening, maybe because of the overhead angle or the thickness of the wood I was cutting. Since I was up on the ladder in the closet, Don tightened my screw so I could get back to work.

Don't you just hate it when the screw loosens and the blade goes limp and you have to stop and tighten things up again? But it was worth it since I did get to break through to the next level.

No comments: