Wednesday, March 15, 2006

I should've used my stud finder today.

I was cutting a hole in a garage wall to insert an electric box. I was using the Fein tool to cut out the piece, but it wouldn't budge. I thought the little rectangle would pop right out. So I went back over the rectangle thinking I hadn't cut in far enough. Still, it wouldn't pry out.

I put down the Fein tool and went in to find a putty knife or flathead screwdriver to pry out the piece, but when I came back out my helpful coworker beat me to it. (I didn't realize he was watching.) The reason it hadn't come loose was that it had been glued to the stud. Being glued to a stud is sometimes difficult to remedy. The hole had to be recut just to the left and the drywall repaired.

What is that saying...?
A good stud is hard to find.
A hard stud is good to find.

Either way, it is better to know where the stud is before making a commitment. Surprise studs can create problems.

I better put batteries in that stud finder.

No comments: