Friday, March 03, 2006

No matter how good your tools are, they can only help you if you can find them when you need them. One of the services I offer on the jobsite is the mom-enhanced finding skill. Years of "Mom have you seen my....shoes, homework, phone, hairbrush" have translated easily to "Has anyone seen the allen wrench?"

To help me with this, I started wearing a tool apron, not exactly the same as a tool belt, but very handy. They are much better than a purse and would be helpful to wear during the Mom Show hours too. So I loaded my apron with some frequently needed items, tape measure, screw driver, some extra screws, and for my own pleasure, a stud finder. I also keep my cell phone and my Burt's Bees tinted lip balm.

I had to remove one tool though. A benign and oft needed implement is a pencil. Harmless right? Mostly, yes, unless you have to bend over. I had sharpened the pencil before I put it in my apron. That wouldn't have been a problem if I stood up all day. But even something that seems useful and innocuous can sometimes turn out to be a prick. You just have to be careful where you put things.

No comments: