Thursday, March 16, 2006

Apparently there is a bigger demand for flare nuts than I ever realized. (Anybody see "Office Space?") Yesterday's attempts to hook up the ice maker stalled because the local hardware store was all out of flare nuts. Although a variety of compression nuts are used in plumbing, this particular ice maker required not only a flare nut, but a flaring tool to stretch the copper pipe at the end. For some reason I kept thinking about those blue leisure suits from the seventies.

But by the end of the day, the ice maker was running properly. I am struck by how so much of kitchen remodeling and really any remodeling work is like solving a giant puzzle. I see the guys open boxes and consider the various parts and tools required, making lists for the hardware store and consulting with each other on installation techniques. I imagine these guys liked Legos and models and other puzzles when they were kids. I like puzzles. Even so, my one small contribution to the ice maker project had to be removed and redone. At least I'm the one who figured out that I had done it backwards. It is annoying when there is one piece leftover at the end though.

I got to help a little with the pvc piping and hoses between the kitchen floor and basement ceiling too. I learned that for the connection between two pieces of PVC to adhere, you have to first apply an acrid smelling primer and then a more viscous glue. Once both pipes are slimy, they slide right together and adhere. Then we braced the hose by screwing it to the joist. So it was prime, slide together, then screw. Not a bad day's work.

1 comment:

AM Kingsfield said...

Apparently the messier the better. We were dripping glue everywhere. But it was a great bond.