Monday, March 20, 2006

I finally got to read the book recommended in a comment back in February called "Self-Made Man" by Nora Vincent. Great recommendation.

The author, Nora, disguises herself as a man and "infiltrates" certain situations to learn what she can about the differences between the sexes. What she learns often surprises her as does how the whole experience affects her. Although there are some big differences in Nora's experience and mine, there are many similarities. She certainly is starting in a different place than I have and with different motives. Her conclusions, however, I would be comforting to both men and women and how they relate to each other.

As I have worked in this male dominated field, I have made some observations about how men's interactions with other men are different than when they are just around me. I have certainly learned that men like to talk about their tools and their skills. They have been eager to share this information. They all seem confident that their skills are the best too. So as I continue to sample these skills, I suppose I will have to draw my own conclusions about their individual competence. They certainly all have something they can teach me.

Anybody else out there the minority gender on their job? What have you learned from the experience?

No comments: