Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Today I met the guys outside the house with the beautiful new kitchen to fix a minor leak. Neither of the owners' cars were there, so we used the time to clean out and organize the trailer and van that serve as the mobile construction shop. I learned more about what the little widgets, gizmos, and hoochies are. I might also now be able to find more things I'm sent to look for. I still have a big learning curve ahead of me. I am finalizing my official training schedule so I can be sure to cover some of the more basic skills necessary to house maintenance.

Anyway, after cleaning and organizing for a while, the owner returned with her groceries. She had left a purple note on the door inviting us in while she was out. Her front door faces sideways from the street, so we hadn't seen it because none of us actually went up to the front door and looked. We drew our conclusions at a distance and were mistaken. Once in, the repair took only one tool and a few minutes to rectify. Stan spent longer watching the trap under the sink to be sure that the leak didn't recur than he did fixing the drip.

So the moral of the story is that you should get yourself to the front door. Opportunities await. You can't make an informed decision from too far away. If, however, you are delayed from entering due to obstacles or ignorance, you don't have to sit idly by. Use this time to purge away what isn't necessary and to find a place for all the little hoochies you might need. You'll get in eventually.

1 comment:

julie said...

I love this post...how many times have we thought that we couldn't get in and we hadn't even checked the door? But also love that even when we are waiting we can be productive.