Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I'm going to feel today's work more tomorrow. I spent a few hours crawling around on plywood nipping out staples. I have a blister on my hand and sawdust everywhere. A couple of times I got a little shower of sawdust that reminded me of confetti on New Year's Eve - just with no music or kissing.

Stan told me that before the day was over I'd have the hang of it, and he was right. I used end nippers mostly, but also side nippers when the staples were in hard to reach places. What I couldn't nip out I had to hammer in. By the end of the day I was getting more out than snipping them off. Don helpfully instructed me on better hammer technique. It seems you get more impact at the head if you hold it at the tail rather than the neck. I'll have to remember that trick.

Here's a tip to increase your comfort when sitting on staples, sawdust, and plywood: when you have to move, lift rather than slide. Sliding makes for some splinters in some very uncomfortable places. I had a helpful offer to help remove the splinter, but did manage to handle the problem myself.

And a construction girl fashion tip - black jeans act like a magnet for sawdust. I had to vacuum myself off at the end of the day. Luckily I had help. Aren't these guys so helpful?

No comments: