Saturday, April 01, 2006

This weekend has been pretty much a Construction Mom weekend. My hot Friday night had my kids all playing with friends while their moms & I sipped some pinot grigio in the warm evening breeze. It was actually quite lovely.

My Saturday morning would have been easier if I had a clone of myself. (One on which I could later blame all my mischievous behavior.) My kids all had overlapping lacrosse & soccer games on different fields around town. Fortunately my great family pitched in on the sports fiesta shuffle and everyone got to where they needed to be.

In the frenzy of leaving the house packed with all the necessary equipment for the day's activities, I reminded my son, Kyle, of the one piece of equipment that I have no experience with. He forgot it once and I've heard that the coach can do a spot check that could be painful if he forgot this protective gear. Rather than simply telling me he already had it, he just gave it a sharp rap with his knuckles, horrifying his sisters. This boy has been living with all women for three years (exactly today - easy day to remember: April Fool's Day.) So I figured he was due for a little 10 year old flare of testosterone. He's my child who has been most excited and supportive of my new Construction Girl job.

At his game, one of my favorite City Rangers on duty at that field lingered to watch the game for a bit. In the car on the way home, Kyle asked if the City Ranger was armed. I said that his only weapon was his cell phone. But after quickly considering the Ranger's 6 & a half feet of height I said, "unless you consider his boots weapons." I'm sure a kick with those big things could inflict some damage if necessary.

Kyle's head snapped over to look at me in smiling surprise and said, "Mom! You're not supposed to be looking!"
Confused I asked, "At his boots?" I didn't think he knew the old joke about the size of a man's boots and... well, you know.
"Oh," he relaxed, obviously relieved. "I thought you said 'his Glutes'."

I think I may have a future construction boy here.

btw, they are killer glutes.

1 comment:

AM Kingsfield said...

I believe the saying is really about the size of a man's feet being representative. I was just extrapolating it to include the boots.

Billy Price is a cool R&B singer whose concert I enjoyed with some new and old friends this past Saturday night.