Sunday, April 16, 2006

I was thinking about why it is I find this job appealing. My previous career as a teacher was far better planned. I had several years of college behind me and student teaching. "English teacher" was a much more acceptable career, although less interesting to discuss at a party. I remember not wanting to get out of my car in the parking lot once I got to the school. I would feel my blood pressure elevate once I arrived. A combination of factors created that tension. I was a good teacher, but I'm glad that didn't lock me into a stressful career. Just because you're good at something doesn't mean you can't quit when it isn't unfulfilling.

This job is the opposite, tension releasing rather than building. I'm sure the physical component has a lot to do with it. Although not every day is a tear out day, often enough I get to tear down walls, throw stuff out windows, drill through the side of a house, or knock nails in with a hammer. At the end of the day I can see what I've accomplished. I like it when work stays at work too. I like getting tired and sweaty. I don't even mind busting my knuckles or getting all dirty.

How do you deal with tension?
Do you find that you release tension by getting sweaty and dirty and tired?

1 comment:

Mom said...

Only someone with an English teacher heart could find joy in "fetid feculent flotsam." It is wonderful that you are able throw out the nasty stuff and build something beautiful and new.