Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Today was the fancy luncheon I mentioned last week that prompted me to print up some business cards. Boy am I glad I did. I mean, I'm glad Brooke could do that for me. She did a great job.

I had the good fortune of having a friend invite me to a luncheon of a certain Maryland Historical Society that had as its guest speaker Justice Sandra Day O'Conner. As the luncheon began, I chit chatted with what turned out to be a roomful of lawyers. They assumed I was one. (I guess I can pass as fancy when I have to. I can manage it for a couple of hours at least.) When I explained a bit of what I was doing, I got some welcome advice and instant introductions. Three business women asked for my card. One asked for two so she could pass one along. I'm so glad I didn't have to write anything down on a napkin because they only had cloth.

Then Justice O'Conner delivered a pleasant speech about the Humble Beginnings of the Supreme Court. It was very interesting. It occurred to me that Construction Girl is not just learning the various aspects of general house construction in her apprenticeship of sorts, she's constructing a business. I felt very aware that this was an important moment in my humble beginnings. It's exciting to realize that you are at the beginning of something good, something of yours.

1 comment:

julie said...

I know that you were gracious and warm and excited about you are doing....you are smart, attractive, and easy to talk to....you have an amazing beginning going and I can't wait to see where this takes you. I know that they were all impressed. I am.