Friday, April 28, 2006

So I'm morphing out of Construction Girl, but really like the "CG." It reminds me of T.S. Garp. If you never read that wonderful book, Garp's given name is only the initials. So when people ask what it stands for, he answers depending on his mood: Terribly Sexy, Terribly Shy, Terribly Sad. So I'm going to do the same with CG.

So the tech writing project is still on-going, but the jobsite work is pretty much over. It was fun. It is making me think out of the box for my next move. I was looking in the classifieds under "W" for writer and saw something intriguing: "Wildlife Trapper." I'm serious. The requirements listed were as follows: neat, dependable, clean driving record, comfortable on ladders. I couldn't help being intrigued, so I called. The woman who took my call was surprised that I was inquiring for myself, being a girl. She doesn't know me.

"What kind of wildlife are you trapping on ladders?" I inquired. I couldn't imagine.
"Mostly squirrels and raccoons that get into attics."
"Is this a full time position?" I never knew you could have such a niche.
"Mostly. There would be some light construction work to repair the damage and and seal the entry points," she explained. I think she expected me to say "eeww."
"Surprisingly, I have a bit of experience in that area," I told her. I was thinking of the anti-squirrel screws and the rancid insulation.
So I left my number.

Now do I really want to make a career out of this? I don't suppose so. But just imagine the conversation and writing potential it presents.
In a bar: "What do you do?"
"I'm a wildlife trapper. I climb ladders."

I wonder how long people keep a position like that.

So what would that make me CG wise? Critter Grabber? Chipmunk Goalie? Climbing Gladiator?

A friend suggested CG could be Clever Gal, Courageous Goddess, Clever Geisha, Complete Gobbledygook...

Any other ideas? I'm wide open.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I played the what does CG stand for game with Dad. His answer -
Continuing Genre
He meant that you are the type who has the strength, courage and ability to overcome and continue on the journey of life.
You are loved!

AM Kingsfield said...

wow.
Thanks!