Thursday, April 20, 2006

How do you deal with a tough customer and what makes them tough?

Today I filled a new role as a decoy for the elderly couple who is aggravating the workers on a bathroom remodel job. I am guessing this couple is about 80 years old in their house that is about 50 years old. This couple grew up in the depression and are having trouble with all the perceived waste on the jobsite. For example, she wants to save and reuse old screws, wants to keep the old doorknob, decided to reinstall the original bathroom mirror.

Another problem is the couple's discomfort with construction dust. This was the job with the jackhammer. There has been drywall torn out, new drywall cut and installed. She wanted one worker to vacuum the dust that fell inside the drywall. She wants to sweep around the workers feet while they are working. We do a good job of cleaning up the sight, but we do wait until the end of the day.

So the main problem is their proximity to the work. They hover silently and compare the building methods with those they were familiar with 20 years ago. Change, although originally requested by them, is agitating to them. They are only trying to be thorough and responsible homeowners. They are only trying to be frugal and keep things tidy. But it is slowing down the project and frustrating the workers who have had to undo work unnecessarily.

So today we had to return to fix a leaky faucet, which was fine. I was riding with Michael to discuss our business plans. As we pulled into the driveway, I suggested that I wait in the truck with my laptop, but he requested that I come in and do the talking while he did the repair. It was an easy job since they have so many old an interesting objects and pictures around the house. She was impressed that I could explain the parts of the sink that were being repaired. Michael was relieve to just be able to do the work without stopping to explain each component of the sink and the motives behind each action.

I think it was a win for everybody. Not exactly one of the skills I had anticipated using on this job, but one that came in handy today. I have a feeling I know which job the guys will want me on next week.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Seems like you could divert their compulsions by asking where you could put the old screws and hardware for them and maybe letting them know you'll be sweeping at lunch break, reminding them constructions sites are "dangerous." Reason with them, like you do with your 8yo, if they are in the way, the job takes longer, get out of the way and they get their house back sooner, you'll be happy to answer their questions.

And you only answer questions at 10am and 2pm.

On Thursdays.

julie said...

I think that you are a lovely decoy.