Thursday, May 18, 2006

My mother’s Senior Chorale is stepping up in the world. I’m sitting in the front of a packed Senior Center awaiting the Spring Swing performance of my town’s senior chorus. I bet there are more than 200 people here. I’m not the youngest audience member, but I sure help bring the average age down. This will be the first time I’ve ever seen the group perform on risers. Judging from the condition of the carpet on them and the sheen on the metal frame, I’d say they are brand new. Woo hoo!

And there’s another exciting development: a conga drum. So this bodes well for a hip senior performance. (I suppose usually when “hip” and “senior” are used in the same sentence that it is in a different context.)

The adorable director is setting up bar stools for the soloists to use during the show. He is easily a third and in some cases even a fourth of the age of the members of the choir. He has a long dark ponytail and pretty much dances around as he conducts the singers. He is dressed handsomely in pin-striped pants and a rose colored shirt. He is way too young for me to flirt with, although I caught his eye for an exchange of smiles anyway. He’s seen me at these performances before. I’m a Senior Chorale groupie.

Here come the singers to a spray of applause. They are all in black pants and a garden of pastel colored shirts. The hairstyles are predominantly gray or gone, with a handful of women with color – none blue. I told you these were cool seniors. My mother is easily the prettiest one up there. Happiness is a great accessory.

My friend Peggy’s mother is also in this choir. She and my mom are friends as are our daughters. We are a tri-generational friendship. It’s cool.

Wow! This group always amazes me. The first number was “Rock Island” from the “Music Man.” The song sounds like a train coming in. I’m sure it was complicated to learn with no accompaniment. The conductor’s dance at times resembles what my children & I refer to as the “potty dance.” But that was just for the first chugging train number. The subsequent swing and romantic numbers convinced me that he’s probably taken lessons.

Their sound quality is so full. They have really improved since I first heard them last year. They respond so well to the conductor and really control their dynamics.

It’s interesting to be on the other side of the generations now. Mom used to go to my performances. Then she went to my children’s. Now I’m going to hers. I suppose if I grew up in Vegas or Orlando I’d be used to a performing parent.

For “Get Happy” these guys were cranking! The conductor was really cutting the rug and the performers were smiling so big their eyes are having trouble focusing on the music. I even see some irrepressible hand gestures. Maybe some of these performers have Broadway experience.

Now they are singing “Alice in Wonderland.” He says it was difficult to learn, but you can’t tell from hearing it. Next a medley from “Sleepless in Seattle.” I’m up close enough and off to the side so that I can see the conductor using his eyebrows to remind the singers to smile. He’s still dancing. This is an aerobic job for him. That must be why he’ so slim.

“Lean on Me” is being sung directly to me. Mom keeps looking over. The conductor is using his hard soled shiny black shoes for percussion. He keeps smiling when the seniors in the audience who join in his clapping call are off beat.
“Lean on me, when you’re not strong. I’ll be your friend. I’ll help you carry on.
For it won’t be long ‘til I’m gonna need somebody to
lean on.”
I’m singing too.
“Call me. Oh baby just call me. When you need a friend call me.”
I hear you Mom.

Here comes a medley called “It Don’t Mean a Thing if it Ain’t Got that Sing Sing Sing.” There are a lot of sneakered toes tapping in this place. The pastels up front are bouncing and swaying.

No time for an encore; they’ve gotta set up for lunch. When the standing ovation subsides, these smiling, swinging, singing, seniors will file out and cram the surrounding restaurants for lunch – or perhaps stay right here and enjoy the Sr. Center lunch service. Singing can work up an appetite!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Glad you enjoyed it. This group of singers really are a lot of fun.