Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I’ve been feeling a bit stressed deciding my future here lately. I don’t mean to complain because I have a unique and wonderful situation where I can pretty much pursue whatever I want to, even if this situation arose from a painful one. So I have been considering franchising, specifically a retail tax service and a real estate investment company. Or I could just take a job, like in a store that sells stuff I like to buy so I can get the discount. Or I can go back to school. I could go back into teaching. Sweet little Fern who I watch after school suggested I go into modeling! It’s great to be adored.

I’m leaning toward working on my Master’s and trying to discipline myself to complete some freelance writing work. I will still have some work from time to time on that construction website project I was working on earlier.

My 7th grade daughter has been researching colleges. I’m not sure what bug has bitten her to prompt her to start looking into it now. Every day she hands me something else she printed out from a college’s website. I guess you expect your options to be wide open when you are 12.

Do you like it better when you have a lot of options or just a couple? I guess there are pros & cons with each situation. I’m sure it depends on if your options are about your job, relationships, your church, pizza delivery services (my dinner plan tonight) or movies to watch. Certainly a lot of choices are better than no choice. Is there such a thing as too many choices? If you could pursue your dream job, what would it be? What do you want to be when you grow up?

1 comment:

Anne said...

You know, maybe you should take the approach many college students take: see a career counselor. Take the time to explore your likes and dislikes in a neutral setting. Your family and friends, me included, want to see you happy and fulfilled, but our advise can be biased. We can be telling you what you want to hear or what we think you should persue. A good career counselor will know of lots of jobs that match your likes and skills.

If you don't like that idea, how about a position in corporate training?