Sunday, May 14, 2006

Most of you have “met” my mother on this blog. I wanted to let you know a little more about her since this is her day. Tomorrow is also her day, since she turns 65 in the morning. In the eyes of many people, 65 is the beginning of old age. That’s the age of retirement, and my mom retired a couple of years ago. If she is typical of old age and retirement, then I am certainly looking forward to that period of my life. Mom is having more fun than ever.

My mom was born and raised in Southern California, a fact that I think has saved me a lot of heart ache. She was the tom boy little sister of two brothers and adored by her parents. She met my dad on a blind date arranged by their mothers who were teachers together. After they married and had their first baby, my dad got a job at NASA that he took “few a few years” until he could get a job back on the west coast. That was 41 years ago. I was born and raised right here in Maryland when I was supposed to be a California girl.

For generations my family had been members of the Church of Christ (church of Christ if you want to be picky) which is dominated by people born and raised in the South - Alabama, Arkansas, and Tennessee especially. Women raised in these states (and I realize I am making sweeping generalizations here that are perhaps unfair, but they are my experience) are particularly concerned about appearances. You have to wear the right make-up, clothes, hats on Easter, no white after Labor Day, and dust and vacuum regularly. You have to use china and cloth napkins and have brass candlesticks.

My mom may have had brass, but she never cared about candlesticks, and I am grateful for that. She taught me by her example that it is more important to be there for your kids than to dress them right. She taught me that my guests care more that I invited them over and had good conversation than about my china or cloth napkins. She taught me to have good snacks in the house and to be honest with kids about sex. She taught me that if something is funny, I can tilt back my head and laugh loud. She taught me that you can question the establishment and survive outside of it.

My mom always thinks the best of me and always believes I can do anything. She is my own personal cheerleader and psychiatrist. My mom is a world traveler, an artist, a nurse, a deacon, a wife, a cool mother, a fun grandmother, and a loyal friend. I love her and am proud she is mine

2 comments:

Mom said...

You can do anything. You make me so proud.
I love yo with all the fierce love of a mother

julie said...

Since she is my mother too, I thought I would second what you said. I love her too and have benefitted from her mothering skills as well. But mostly I have loved being her friend. She has stood beside when she thought a fight was beginning and she has helped me lick my wounds when I have lost. She has ridden her bike to my house to sit on the porch and rock and chat. She has grandparented my children and loved them intensely. They have loved being loved by her. She has made me laugh...I don't just mean a chuckle but a real belly laugh that makes you weak when you are done. We have made up stories about people on the boardwalk. We have cried together.
Thanks for starting this conversation.