Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I have been brushing up on my very rusty math skills to prepare for the GRE in November. The GRE is the test required to begin my Master's program. I can't start my Master's until next year because I had to have my GRE scores submitted in January. Anyway, it has been a long time since I had to determine the length of a hypotenuse.

Here are two questions from the review of Basic Arithmetic. That means these are a couple of the easy questions. I'll post the answers in the comments and you can tell me if you are smarter that I am. I bet you are!

1.How many positive integers less than 100 have a remainder of 3 when divided by 7?

2.What is the circumference of a circle whose area is 10π?
a. 5π b. 10π c. π√10 d. 2π√10 e. π√20


I was riding in my van with Anne's daughter, Fern, and we were trading “What did you learn today” stories. When it was my turn, I said that I learned that zero was meaningless, as in 7 divided by 0 is meaningless.

Fern said, “Yeah, try telling that to your mom when you bring a zero home on a test.”

So true! I wonder if the GRE people know this?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Gosh, CG, I felt great about making 100% on "Blogthings" 8th grade math quiz! My brain hurts now and I have no answers for you....

AM Kingsfield said...

I know. I only got 43% on my first attempt at the math portion. I'm counting on Anne getting the answers. My non-posting friend in Idaho is bound to get the answers right too.
Here they are
1. 14
2. D

Who's right?

Anne said...

Shoot!
I didn't read your post until after you put up the answers. I had 14 for the first one, but had trouble with #2. I think I was trying to make it too hard.