Wednesday, August 02, 2006

As a midpoint to exchange the kids for the “Daddy Weekends,” the Ex and I arranged to meet in the parking lot of our favorite wine super store. Although enjoyed on different scales, affection for a good glass of wine is a pleasure we share. The rendezvous spot had definite perks.

So I was walking in with my three children and I said to them,
“When I was your age, my mother never took me into a wine store. I hope this doesn’t ruin you.”
Without missing a beat, my 12 year old said, “Don’t worry, Mom. We’re already ruined.” I think she winked at me.
“Well at least that’s out of the way,” I smiled back. “Now we can relax.”

It reminded me of the odd calm I felt once I jumped out of the plane. I was certainly at greater risk than in the plane. Once out, however, the only choice was to freak out or enjoy it. I totally enjoyed it.

Have you ever felt more relaxed once things were “ruined?” Like once you get the first dent in your new car you can finally relax about people shutting and opening the doors. Is striving for perfection behind you? Were you ever in control in the first place? How many times do we have to learn this?

3 comments:

Mom said...

All of my grandchildren are perfect!

Unknown said...

Your kids sound great and seem exactly like what a well-adjusted parent would appreciate.

Unknown said...

And about the question...Just when I think I can relax, something else crops up and proves me wrong. That is the biggest lesson I need to learn..to relax. I have never felt in control of any part of my life and watching my parents try to control their lives from early on has given me reason to rethink that approach before I was into working that way.