Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I finally got a comment on my skydiving necklace! I really like the necklace partly because if its secret code quality and partly because it looks kinda hippyish. I saw others on fellow jumpers on the day of my first jump that were fancy and gold, so they don't have to look as sixties as mine.

Anyway, I was returning to my seat at the bar in DuClaw's with my free glass for new beer release night when I heard a voice say, "Nice necklace."

When I was newly single again, the first book I bought about getting out there again was about flirting. One of its helpful hints was to look for something the person is wearing and comment on it, saying, "I bet there's a story behind that necklace"...t-shirt...ring...or whatever. The point it to unravel a story and avoid yes/no answers. For the most part I have found that guys haven't read that book. So I was surprised when someone actually had the nerve to comment. We immediately dove into an animated converstation about skydiving. It was cool.

Of course I recieved the inevitable razzing from my friends when I returned to the table. Even so, I was happy to know that the secret code worked. I think skydivers are, for the most part, a fun adventurous sort.

I'll have to take a picture of my necklace to post. I think I mentioned before that the charm is the closing pin of a parachute. When I first saw it I wondered if it was supposed to look like a parachute because it looked a bit more like a sperm. When I learned what it was, it seemed like an excellent conversation piece, much cooler than a t-shirt.

When you go skydiving with me in the spring, you'll have to get one for yourself.

2 comments:

Anne said...

1. It was a glass and not a shirt at duclaw? I don't need any more shirts.
2. have you been wearing the necklace all along and have I been too asleep to notice it on our morning walks?
3. Who says I"m diving with you in the spring?

AM Kingsfield said...

1. I was cashing in my brother-in-laws chips for a glass. I don't know the rules.
2. I don't usually have on the necklace in the morning. I don't usually sleep in it.
3. You're not? Aren't you the friend I accidentally flew to Puerto Rico with? I guess we didn't jump out of that plane.