Wednesday, July 12, 2006

It seems that wherever I go I always get the last four squares of toilet paper on the roll. I expect it at my house because replacing the roll is a skill well beyond the scope of my children’s ability or even their awareness. What roll? I don’t really mind it at my mom’s or my sister’s house, but it seems to happen to me in so many different places. I must have some kind of karmic vibe going on the maybe doesn’t want me to have an easy time getting rid of my shit. (Is that gross? Sorry. I mean it as a metaphor.)

Some places it is easy to find the back-up roll. At the hairdresser’s today they had a cabinet with obvious extra rolls. Sometimes, however, I feel like I am snooping a bit when I look for the extra roll. I try to be real quiet with the cabinet doors so they don’t hear me and think I’m snooping.

When does looking for the extra roll become snooping? Have you ever seen something you maybe shouldn’t have seen in someone else’s bathroom while looking for something innocent? Or maybe they just left their medicine cabinet open because they just don’t care about hiding their prescriptions and you can’t help it, but you read the labels.

Is there ever an acceptable reason to snoop? Is it a smart way to learn about someone or a violation of privacy? Where is the line here? (Now any of my readers who have had me over to their home are wondering what I saw in their bathroom. Don’t worry, I have a terrible memory.)

Are you one of the people who leaves the roll empty – or with a useless few squares? Why do you do that? Do you see me coming?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Inevitably, I change the rolls for the universe. No matter where, it always is up to me.
Snooping has never been an issue with me. I just don't care, I guess. I don't really want to know who or what that ointment is for...