Sunday, July 02, 2006

I hope you all had a great weekend. I wonder who has to work this Monday and who is stretching out the 4th of July into an extra long weekend.

Last week was really a great week for me. I spent it with a group of volunteers in West Virginia helping build a house with Habitat for Humanity. I was out of internet range, but did take my laptop to write about the whole experience. I will be posting those in a series this week.

Have any of you gone on a Habitat weekend? If so, where and when and how was it? Do you volunteer with any other charitable organizations? I think these are much more important than going to church. Actions speak louder than words, ya know? It matters if you make a difference. How do you guys serve? When is the last time you were in touch with your inner do-gooder?

2 comments:

Laura said...

I do volunteer work for the American Cancer Society as well as being the Chairperson for an area Relay for Life that we put on. It is a wonderful feeling to help another person out, even if it is something as small as going to the store for them when they are too sick to get out of bed. I am grateful for the opportunity to help. It is a very rewarding feeling. Good for you, CG, for putting your newly aquired talent in Construction to good use!!

AM Kingsfield said...

I am trying to use my powers for good and not evil - it doesn't always work out though.

You guys are cool. Helping out doesn't have to be a major deal. Small things count for a lot.

cableguru, my do-gooder neighbor is an elderly woman. She never takes a rest! Once I looked out and she was weeding my garden! Once she came over to help shovel my driveway! I have to work hard to find a way to beat her. Once I got to snowblow for her.

Laughingsheep, sorry I had to bring my son in at 2pm today. Mucus never takes a holiday. You were still so cheerful.

Laura, you make being a do-gooder fun. I had quite a blast at two Cancer Society fundraising auctions you coordinated. Let me know if there's ever another scheduled ;-)