Friday, July 14, 2006

I finally got myself to the movies to see "Pirates." As I sat flinching in my chair with my knees pulled up to my chest, peeking through my fingers I kept thinking - I let my 8 year old daughter see this? Between the creepy scenes and startling ones were hilarious ones. I loved the escape from the cannibals! Despite all the tension I felt during the movie, I'm sure I'll line up for "Pirates 3."

I've never been good with scary movies. I was a teenager of perfect babysitting age when I saw the first "Halloween" and "Friday the 13th" movies. I slept in my sister's bed for a month - lights and radio on, door locked. I never went back to check on the children I babysat after I put them to bed. I tried to find a place to sit in the house where I could not see any windows. I stayed on the phone until the parents came home. So I quit seeing scary movies. They still freak me out. I don't live with my sister anymore either but I could call her if I get too scared.

I feel a bit like Captain Jack, unable to see which way my compass is pointing. Would you rather be like Jack, without a certain heading; like Will, pulled by divided loyalties: or like Elizabeth, suddenly not sure of what she was once certain? Is anyone ever certain? Is it better to know you aren't certain or to make a certain decision and cling to it even when you are no longer sure of it anymore?

OK, if those questions are too much, how about this one:
On whose ship would you sail away: Jack's or Will's?

2 comments:

Lolita's Momma said...

I'd like a combo of the both of them. Lessons learned have taught me not to pick Jack.
Jack's ship would be more interesting to sail away on though.

Do you think Jack drinks because
he's an alcoholic?

AM Kingsfield said...

I think Jack drinks because reality is too intense sometimes and desperately boring at others. Is he an alcohlic as a result of it? probably. Does that mean I wouldn't want him to be my captain? no. Would I want him to drive my kids to soccer practice? definitely not. Would I want him to scrub up and get sober? I would never ask that. Then he's be like everyone else.