Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I understand that we are all mammals and therefore have hair. Some hair is good and some is bad. I don’t really care about baldness on men. Baldness is a sign of excessive testosterone which can be a good thing, can’t it? I always heard if you are bald in the front you are a thinker; bald in the back you are a lover; bald all the way back and you just think you’re a lover. Bald, balding, or full head of hair, it’s all ok with me as long as it’s the truth. I think trying to hide the obvious with a comb-over implies that you think I’m dumb, blind, or just shallow. While shallow may be sometimes true, I’m not dumb or blind. I can see if your part is two inches above your ear. The only thing worse is a toupee. I’d just rather men let it be what it is. I’d rather it be completely shaved than a comb-over or toupee.

Now I suppose this is entirely hypocritical since I “highlight” mine. As an explanation to my male readers, “Highlighting” means some of my hair is my natural color. “Dying” means it is all colored. After I had kids, my hair got darker. That’s one of the secrets of motherhood no one mentioned until after. I would have still had kids even if I knew that, it was just a surprise. So I feel that highlighting my hair is bringing it back to my original color. I don’t know how I feel about men dying their hair. I guess if it is a good job, it might be OK, as long as it looks natural.

Today though, I saw hair that was totally out of bounds. My daughter & I went to the eye doctor. I couldn’t help but be distracted by the piece of blue lint caught in his excessive, protruding nose hair. Unfortunately, it was difficult to avoid seeing the stowaway since my eye doctor kept getting close to my eyes. Then he shone a bright light into my eye and told me to look at his ear. I obeyed and saw that there was hair all over those too! It seems if you make your living asking people to look at your ear, you might look at it every now and then too. But I suppose if he had pretty ears, I wouldn’t have had anything to write about today. After all, we’re all mammals.

1 comment:

Anne said...

How 'bout giving him a trimmer?