Monday, July 03, 2006

I started my 4th of July celebration on the 3rd today. I had a bit of an impromptu party for my family. I love it that my family all still lives in Maryland. I love it that my kids are friends with their cousins and grandparents, aunts and uncles.

We had steamed Maryland Blue Crabs for dinner: steamed crabs and cold beer in the back yard with people I love, listening to my new Paul Simon CD. What a great night. We practiced with some sparklers to get us prepped from my modest display of fireworks tomorrow night.

My eight year old enjoys a crab feast, but not really the crabs yet. I'm sure she will learn that. But tonight she just enjoyed a crab picking lesson. I pointed out bits of technical advice and she rewarded me with the meat. Then she enjoyed a rite of passage for a Maryland kid: she broke down a big claw and used it to pinch people at the table. I smiled to see her enjoying what she thought was new mischief.

My oldest has learned to enjoy both picking and eating. I checked her pile to see if she had left much for me to clean up. No, she's gotten pretty good at it. I was so proud.

What regional food specialties do you love?

I know I promised some posts about the Habitat for Humanity trip. I didn't get as much time up there to write as I anticipated. So I need more time to review my drafts and notes first. I've been so busy since I got home though. So I promise I'll get to it. It was so cool.

Enjoy the holiday tomorrow. I hope you see some sparks fly - in a good way.

No comments: