Saturday, July 22, 2006

Is this closet thing, this reclaiming of my personal space, a metaphor?
I think it is a good thing to get into your storage spaces and see what you’ve collected that you don’t use anymore. Some of my old clothes, like my thoughts from years ago, don’t fit anymore, or my style has changed. A lot of crap in there I can’t imagine why I saved. But then I found a $25 gift certificate to Outback Steakhouse. Some things in there were more useful than I realized. Some good stuff I forgot I had was shoved behind my out-of-date styles. I am still saving some sentimental clothing of mine and my children’s. I don’t really know why, I just can’t bring myself to pass it on.

Sorting through it all and making the space useful again has been messier and taken longer than I planned. Change is often a mess. Hopefully it will be better when I’m done and can come out of the closet again. I don't want to spend too much time in there.

How’s your closet?

4 comments:

julie said...

Right now my "real" closet is very messy and has piles of clothes that I don't wear anymore. I am trying to get to make myself go through it all a little at a time. Why do we end up with so many clothes that we don't wear anymore.
My spiritual and emotional closet is in better shape than it has been for a very long time.
Thanks for asking.

Unknown said...

My closet gets areas worked on in different times of the year. My clothes get purged each fall and spring, when I change my wardrobe and pack away with the unwearable clothes going to the resale shop. The Christmas storage area gets an obvious clean-up. My suitcase area gets reorganized occaisionally. But there are plenty of things stuffed in I can't put anywhere else. My grandmothers sewing machine( in a box), my childhood doll house furniture, also boxed, wrapping paper, umbrellas, etc. It just gets shuffled and straightened.
Likewise, my emotional closet is filled with more stuff but is reorganized on a continuing basis.
You always make me think, CG.

Anne said...

My emotional closet is hard to think about. I have a very hard time getting rid of my stuff I don't use or wear anymore. It's MY stuff and I always feel "attacked" when I have to purge. That's why my real closet is so full. My best purging day was when CG helped me go through some clothes I had squirreled away. Very objectively and supportively she helped me get rid of a massive amounts without the nagging I get from other people, which leads me to wanting to hold on to more instead of letting go.

AM Kingsfield said...

Maybe that's a business opportunity I should consider.