Friday, July 21, 2006

dammit.
I started what I thought would be a simple project that has taken over my room and will last for days now. I hate when I underplan. I need my Construction Girl van of tools and supplies in the driveway and a team of Catholic boys to order around.

I decided to reconstitute my closet. I have friends with beautiful fancy closet organizers. I decided I could do it myself with shelving from the hardware store, saving money on labor and materials. So I measured my closet and went to the home store with one of my smart friends. We even tried to cut the wire shelves with gigantic cutters ourselves. I’m sure the teenage boy waiting on us thought we were nuts.

So, I honestly thought I could empty my closet, tear out the shelves, and slap the new ones up all in one day. (Are you laughing at me?) I forgot to account for driving my kids to playmates, stopping by the grocery store, fixing meals and cleaning them up, and the incessant laundry shuffle – not to mention e-mail checking, blogging, and phone calls.

Well, the clothing removal turned into a great opportunity to sort and prune. The shelving removal became tricky at parts because of some shortcuts taken at the time of original construction. Once emptied, I decided I needed to paint in there because I will never empty it again. Now it is almost 11pm and I have no coarse sandpaper or spackle. I also need my own pair of end nippers to get out some finishing nails. I have wanted end nippers since about March. Now I finally can justify it.

But tomorrow I retrieve my son from camp so most of the day is taken with that. So my hardware store run is delayed. So the spackle is delayed. So the painting is delayed. So the new shelving is delayed. So the mountain of organized and sorted clothing and shoes is going to prevent me from sleeping in my own bed for at least two more days.
dammit.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Catholic boys? Explain, please. And this is what happens every time I begin a project so I usually wait till the dad has the kids during the summer so the house is COMPLETELY my own. The project ballons to enormous proportions of detail and this revolves around that being done first. Gee, you have a helper though. And just think of the major things you will have accomplished when you are done! Good luck

AM Kingsfield said...

When I was on the Habitat for Humanity trip, the team I was working with was a group of high school boys from a Catholic school in Ohio. They were sweet, ambitious, and obedient: three qualities I enjoy in men.

Unknown said...

Heehee, ok, I remember! Too bad high schoolers aren't an option for the dating pool...