Thursday, July 20, 2006

I need your advice.
A friend of mine is designing a website for my writing career. On the website I will post links to articles I have written on-line, a sample of my technical writing, a sample of one of the personal essays I write, like the one I did for my friend's 75th birthday, the link to the sermon I preached. I need to write a bio. There will be a link to this blog too. I intend to include the website on new business cards.

My question is about my name.
I doubt I will use my current last name forever. I kept my married name so that my kids & I would have the same last name. Besides, I hate the hassle of changing everything. Another strike against my last name is that there is a famous writer whose last name is almost the same as mine. I've had a couple people ask me if that was me. (I wish!) So I've been thinking about a pseudonym. My maiden name seems boring. Construction Girl isn't a name. So I was thinking about a variation on my stripper name: Smokey Kingsfield. I like Kingsfield. My initials are A.M. I could be A.M. Kingsfield - which sounds like a completely different personality than Smokey. A.M. Kingsfield sounds like she'd be perky in the morning. Smokey Kingsfield sounds either like she would have a voice like Kathleen Turner or possible be a bear. Who would you be more likely to hire?

A follow-up question I have about Smokey is - how much do I have to use that name? Do I introduce myself as Smokey? My website designer has made a preliminary sight based on that name that looks fantastic. I love it. But all the article links will refer to my regular name. I am going to a networking breakfast where we pass out our business cards and hopefully make referrals for each other. Should I put "Smokey" on the inescapable adhesive name tag?

I've never used a pen name and have so many questions. I am open to your advice.

6 comments:

Mom said...

I would hire A.M. Kingsfield. Smokey sounds unreliable to me. It would also allow you to use your real name more comfortablly. I like your real name. If someone called for Smokey, would you realize they were calling you?

Laura said...

I also like A.M. Kingsfield. It just sounds good. And, if you ever wanted to use your real name, it would be easier for you. I cannot wait to read something written by A.M. Kingsfield!!! Good luck to you.

Lolita's Momma said...

How about Amee Kingsfield?

I do like A.M. Kingsfield though.

Tracy said...

I also like the A.M. Kinsfield. Smokey makes me think of Smokey the bear. Plus, it would be easier and flow more smoothly if you ever wanted to use your real name.
I have read most of the other author's books that has a similar last name as you. Every time I see the name or read another of her books, I think of you.

Good luck!

Anne said...

Since I thunk of the "A.M." part of A.M. Kingsfield, I'm kinda partial to it. Smokey sounds too much like a lounge singer in a cheap airport motel. Can't you just hear the jets now? And that couple in the corner, hush already, Smokey's trying to sing!

Unknown said...

I agree that Smokey doesn't have the reliable ring that A M does. Good luck at the luncheon. I like that idea of a networking luncheon.