Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I am planning to go skydiving at the end of the month.
I used to have dreams of flying a lot. Sometimes I still have that sensation. So I always wanted to skydive. It seems it would be like flying. I tried parasailing and loved the view and the quietness up so high, but that was different. When I had kids, however, it suddenly seemed too risky. I just put it out of my mind and never thought about it again...

...Until a couple of weeks ago.
A friend of mine said he was going to try it and showed me the link of the company he was using. I watched the video and knew I really wanted to try it. I googled "skydiving fatalities" and learned that most injuries and fatalities happen to stunt divers. These people are pushing the envelope. I am statistically at greater risk when I drive my car than I will be skydiving. I won't be trying anything fancy.

I am going to try the tandem dive. I will be strapped to a professional. (That sounds interesting, doesn't it?) This way, even if I get scared to take that step off the edge, I'm going anyway. I hope I keep my eyes open. I hope I don't wet my pants.

I am getting the video. The videographer jumps too. What a job! If I can, I'll post it.

What should I shout when I jump out? Have any of you tried any extreme sports? Any of you tried skydiving? Why did you do it? I'm not really sure why I've always been intrigued by it. Maybe in one of my past lives I was a bird. Maybe I'm tired of playing it safe. I just want to feel what it's like to fly.

4 comments:

Anne said...

Are you kidding?! What should I shout out while I jump? Anything you plan to yell won't be remembered that second of jumping out anyway, so why even think about it now?

On the other hand, "Geronimo!" is always a good choice.

Mom said...

While going down a fast white water rapid that was both scarey and exciting, DQ yelled at the the top of his voice,"I love you Jesus!" I think he wanted to make that clear as he prepared to meet his maker.
You might just go to Epcot and go on the Soarin' ride. It gives you a beautiful sesation of flying that is less dangerous.
Be careful!

Lolita's Momma said...

In dreams, flying represents freedom and liberation, an opportunity to "rise above" obstacles that are "holding you down."

Sigmund Freud said that flying in dreams represented sexual release.

I think I would yell...."MOTHA F**KAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"....as I was falling.

AM Kingsfield said...

You guys are making me laugh! I love what DQ yelled. I imagine it was funny!

I always find dream interpretation interesting. I have a couple of friends who seem to be very good at it - like Joseph. Hopefully though, I can keep my dreams about flying and not about seven fat cows and seven skinny cows.