Saturday, September 16, 2006

My children danced on a stage at the Kennedy Center today - and got paid!

Peggy & I took our small group to the Kennedy Center's Open House in DC. We were treated to a free concert of a group called “Wild Magnolias.” The picture in the brochure had the guys all in these full feathery and finery costumes. However, we saw them performing in t-shirts and jerseys. Alas.

Their music was fun though. Their instruments were all percussion and their style was New Orleans Mardi Gras. Too bad they didn't even know what Mardi Gras meant. They couldn't even identify when it was Mardi Gras, although they insisted they never missed one. It surprised me that these obviously talented artists were so disinterested in learning more about the actual meanings of their words and style. Oh well. They were fun and they were performing on the stage at the Kennedy Center, so I guess their mediocrity was not inhibitive.

They were at odds with the dozens of red blazered women volunteering as ushers. The musicians were encouraging us to stand up and dance – a bunch of totally sober white people – and the ushers were asking the standers and dancers to sit down. What is proper Kennedy Center etiquette here? I actually saw an usher tap someone and ask them to sit. So we finally all had to stand.

The little kids got off easy. They stood up to dance without much prompting because the music was so infectious. Dancing is just their natural response. You couldn't feel sleepy or irritated. You had to wiggle, had to clap.

My kids were less sure of taking the stage. My son, however, has been acquiring a taste for being the class clown. He was trying to persuade one of his sisters to go up with him. I told him I'd give him $5. That was just the prompt he needed.

He took the stage with a dance style that was influenced by “Dance Dance Revolution.” He was wonderful. I was so proud.

My youngest saw the potential profit and asked if I'd pay her too. She wasn't brave enough to go first, so I only offered her $2. Of course she was adorable in her pink skirt and cowgirl boots.

So how much would I have to lay out to get you to dance on the stage?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nothing if I weren't sober.
Hey, I love the fact you live near D.C. since my daughter niece and nephew traveled there the summer of last year. You talk about places we've seen and the Kennedy Center was one of them. What a trip! It was a tremendous experience for us all.
It is wonderful to expose our children to cultural events and places. Glad your's was fun even if it set you back monetarily.

AM Kingsfield said...

You should come out for a visit! Bring that Wildman of yours.