Sunday, September 24, 2006

I spent a quiet weekend in lovely Burlington, Connecticut visiting old friends in their beautiful new home. They just acquired a new dog that entertained and amused us. My friend was torn between charmed by this chihuahua-dachshund mix, and remorseful over the burden she just impulsively adopted. It was a great lesson for me to witness.

Saturday we went to the Wadsworth Antheneum, an art museum with quite an impressive collection. They had at least one original piece of almost every artist I've ever heard of and many I hadn't: Monet, Pissaro, Van Gogh, O'Keeffe, Rockwell, Gauguin, Dali, Cole, Picasso, Calder. They also had the impressively intact mummified remains of an unidentified Egyptian: hennaed hair, teeth, leathery black skin. It was creepy and intriguing to think this ancient person was walking around on the other side of the world thousands of years ago.

It is fascinating to see the wide range of artwork that is considered great. Some of it I find beautiful and provocative. The import of other pieces eludes me. Looking at the collection with a friend, however, made for great conversation and speculation. Some of the historical and religious events depicted in the paintings were obvious. Others made me want to research the story. Mostly I like to imagine the lives of the people portrayed. The still lifes and landscapes were wonderful, but I find people to be the best subject of art.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Guess I was really distracted when I commented on your ice cream post with art talk.