Thursday, September 07, 2006

I had fun with power tools today!

My daughters are in a play. One of the requirements of cast members is a parent who will support the play somehow. I'm new at this, but I signed up to help with set construction. Since some of the main builders were also on my Habitat for Humanity trip, some people involved knew that I had fun with building. The set designer gave me a sketch of Cinderella's Carriage and talked to me about how it would be used for the narrator. It needed to be mobile.

I consulted with the director. She doesn't know me as well. She suggested that I do the decorative part and leave the base including wheels to the guys.

I took it as a dare.

So today, with the help of my friend's superb wood shop, and his 16 year old son who was dodging homework, we made the rolling carriage. I got to use a new one, a band saw, plus some of my old favorites, the chop saw and sawzall. I owe that boy an iTunes gift card or something for helping me figure out how to cut the angles I wanted and how to brace the supports. It was like a live math problem. Can I count that as studying for my GRE?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You KNOW I will say yes! And there's that young man in the mix again! You sly she-devil.