Monday, September 25, 2006

Have I worried on the blog about the fattening of our town? I know I've had that conversation at least with my Mom. Our town has recently rushed out to enjoy the dual openings of Rita's Italian Ice and Cold Stone Creamery. Tonight I took my kids to Cold Stone. All my steely healthful resolve evaporated when those perky teenagers offered me a free taste test. What could that hurt?

Do you remember that Seinfeld episode where the frozen yogurt wasn't really fat free and everyone who was scarfing it up gained weight? This ice cream I had tonight was too good to be true. They claim it is sugar free, made with Splenda. It was cake batter flavor and it tasted just like the beaters I got to lick if I was one of the lucky ones. As one of four kids, to get one of the two batter beaters was quite a coup. That victory was sweet. The ice cream I had tonight tasted just like that delicious memory. Could it really be sugar free? Certainly the chocolate chips and graham crackers that I had added in weren't sugar free. So I probably shouldn't have it too often. It sure took some of the sting out of that gastronomic memory.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe the emotions I have when I visit an art museum. It's like joy, excitement, awe, did I say joy? all at once.
I don't have a large art museum near me but twice I've been to the St. Louis Museum of Art and it's an amazing experience.
And many times on "Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood" on CBS, I have seen profiles of artists that have opened new areas of appreciation.
The only other things that affect me as deeply are music, my children and nature. Deeply enriching.
I would like to go to some of the museums in D.C. since we didn't get to them on our trip. However, the same group from school is heading to Chicago next July and they have slatted a trip to the art museum there, which I am not familiar with.

Unknown said...

I meant "slated"

Anne said...

I am not in the least bit tempted by Cold Stone. For one, ice cream isn't really my thing. But their ice cream is more like mush. Cold creamy mush. I always think of the little old lady whispering "hush" for some reason.