Thursday, February 01, 2007

How do you like your chili? I've decided to make two varieties: one beef with a bit of sausage and one chicken. For things like chili & soup I am reluctant to follow follow an exact recipe. I prefer to "season to taste." Recipes can feel so confining. But I am open to some tips and tricks if you got 'em. Do you think it would be better to make them a day ahead so the seasonings ferment - or whatever they do overnight in the 'fridge?

And what chili accessories do you like: I'm planning to have chopped onions, jalepenos, cheese, and Fritos in two sizes.

There'll be no kissin' after my chili.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I usually get into trouble for not following recipes but I just can't. As for chili, I use a packet (shameful) but it gives the right amount of seasoning. I have so much venison, that is what I normally use. It really makes good stuff. But I did make ground chuck chili with my own spices and hardly any beans (Jack hates beans) this winter. It was scrumptious.
Frito chili pie is one of the kid's favs so we have that on hand. Not the onions.
Maybe you should see how much they all love you be demanding a kiss after chili.
Certainly one should let the chili "age" since it blends and mellows.

Laura said...

I like to use hot sausage in my chili. It is just a little extra spice. Cheese melted on top is great too.

julie said...

Happy Super Bowl...without me! I have missed gatherings at your house. So fun and comfortable.