Thursday, February 22, 2007


My youngest came to me yesterday and said, "Mom, I'd like the 'birds and the bees' talk."

I sat her down on my lap, thinking fast. She's only in third grade. What has prompted this quest for knowledge? How much does she know? How much more does she need right now?

"Well Honey, if you aren't careful, birds will crap on your head. And even though bees make delicious honey, they might sting you."

Big eye roll. She wasn't buying it.

My mother was always scientifically accurate with me. See how much that has helped? So I decided a minimal description was in order.

"Do you have to do that?" she needed to know.
"No, of course not. You never have to do it."
"Good," she concluded getting of my lap. "I think I will adopt."

4 comments:

Mom said...

One of my favorite memories happened one evening at dinner when you were in third grade. Someone on the school playground had given you their version of the birds & bees talk and you weren't buying it. You told them in no uncertain terms that your dad would never do that. He was too polite.

Miss Bunny said...

Birds & bees?? I think bunnies have a much better track record in this area. Hmph.

Unknown said...

Hilarious.
And your mother must have rubbed off on you considering your first scientific approach.
Have a great weekend!

Tracy said...

ROFL!
I was liking your first approach. Sorry she didn't buy it.

Thanks for a HUGE laugh today! I needed it.